The first library was started in 1888 and was called the
"Niantic Library and
Reading Room Association".
There were 65 founding members.
In 1897 the library was formally incorporated as "The Niantic Public Library Association"
by the State of Connecticut.
The library moved a few times until a permanent structure
in 1920 on Main St.
In 1966 a wing was added, and in 1979 another addition was added.
In 1990 the library moved into the
new Community Center/Library complex,
where we are today.